If you encounter a problem locally you will probably assume that ‘the council’ is responsible for it. The question then is ‘which council’?

It’s not simple but, hopefully, this page will help direct enquiries and problem reporting to the right department.

 Somerset County Council are responsible for county wide facilities:

Roads, from potholes and pavements to street lights, including on street car parking in Castle Cary, from blocked gullies to faulty traffic lights. Anything that pertains to roads and highways. To report a problem please click on the website: https://www.somerset.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/

If you’d prefer to phone: SCC Highways Dept –0300 123 2224

South Somerset District Council are responsible for district wide facilities:

Click on the main link: https://www.southsomerset.gov.uk/report-an-issue  for

Council Tax information; Planning and Building Control; Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support/Universal Credit; Business Rates; Waste and Recycling …….and more

SSDC is responsible for Millbrook  & Catherine’s Close Car Parks (but not onstreet parking-this is the responsibility of Somerset County Council Highways department)

(The Millbrook and Catherines Close Car Park are owned and maintained by SSDC for which both CCTC and APC Precept an annual amount 2/3 & 1/3 that is paid directly to SSDC to compensate them for not charging to park in both car parks.)

The phone number for South Somerset District Council is 01935 462462

Castle Cary Town Council is responsible for its properties:

The Market House and Undercroft and the Cobbles; The Round House; The Horsepond; The Cemetery and the Cemetery Chapel; Catherine’s Close Play Area; The Donald Pither Memorial Field; The Fairfield; the toilets at Millbrook (The Millbrook toilet block is owned by SSDC but CCTC have a 95 year lease agreement (was 99 years) to manage the building) and Catherine’s Close Play Area.

Castle Cary Town Council are not responsible for onstreet parking-any problems with this or pavements should be reported to Somerset County Council Highways department

To contact the Town Clerk please email [email protected] or phone 01963 359631

For details of how Castle Cary and Ansford share funding for some of the local facilities, or to contact Ansford Parish Council about problems in Ansford please visit: . http://www.parish-council.com/ansford/