A message from Viridor:

A fire was discovered at Viridor’s Dimmer Transfer Station in Castle Cary, Somerset, at 9.30am today (Thursday, 10 June, 2021).

Viridor staff discovered the fire as they were loading non-recyclable waste onto vehicles for its onward journey to Avonmouth Energy Recovery Facility, near Bristol. They immediately alerted the Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service and implemented site safety procedures, including an evacuation of the site. There have been no injuries.

Four fire service appliances remain on site to extinguish the fire, the cause of which is not yet known. The Environment Agency has been notified.

The known causes of waste site fires include hot barbecue coals, gas canisters, and batteries, including lithium ion batteries (commonly found in a variety of products such as eCigarettes, mobile phones, toys, cameras and laptop computers). Viridor advises residents to leave the ashes of barbecue coals to cool for at least 48 hours or thoroughly wet the ashes before placing out for collection. Items with lithium ion batteries should not be added to general waste but disposed of at recycling centres.

Viridor is very grateful to the Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service for its assistance.

The company has advised Somerset Waste Partnership and has contingency plans in place. There will be no disruption to services.

We shall provide you with an update once the fire has been extinguished.